Folks of all gender and sexual identities can experience interpersonal and community violence. At Sakhi, we recognize that for LGBTQIA+ folks from the South Asian diaspora, it can be difficult to find resources and community.
According to a 2010 National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey:
- 44% percent of lesbian women, 61% of bisexual women, and 35% of heterosexual women experienced rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- 26% percent of gay men, 37% of bisexual men, and 29% of heterosexual men experienced rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner at some point in their lifetime.
- Approximately 1 in 5 bisexual women (22%) and nearly 1 in 10 heterosexual women (9%) have been raped by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
The 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey found that:
- More than half (54%) of respondents experienced some form of intimate partner violence, including acts involving coercive control and physical harm.
- Additionally, nearly half (47%) of respondents were sexually assaulted at some point in their lifetime and one in ten (10%) were sexually assaulted in the past year.
- In communities of color, these numbers were higher. The study reported that 53% of Black respondents were sexually assaulted in their lifetime and 13% had been sexually assaulted in the last year.
- Anti-Violence Project (AVP): 212-714-1141– a 24 hour bilingual hotline offering support for LGBTQH people in crisis regarding intimate partner violence, sexual assault, bias and HIV related violence. www.avp.org
- Trevor Hotline: 1-866-488-7386 (1-866-4-U-TREVOR) – A 24 hour hotline for crisis & suicide prevention for LGBTQ Youth. www.thetrevorproject.org
- Trans Life Line: 1-877-565-8860 – hotline staffed by transgender people for transgender people.
- Ali Forney Center 1-212-206-0574 (AFC): – Housing and assistance to LGBTQ young people who are homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless. www.aliforneycenter.org
- Gender Equality Law Center: 1-888-833-4363 | ; www.genderequalitylaw.org
- LGBT Center
- Guidance on the Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Expression
- Organizations working around the issue of domestic violence in LGBTQ communities.