Sakhi for South Asian Women’s mission is to represent the South Asian diaspora in a survivor-led movement for gender-justice and to honor the collective and inherent power of all survivors of violence.
Sakhi is a sanctuary and a space of healing.
We work with our allies and partners to advocate for systemic changes in policy and practice at the local, state, and federal levels.
Who We Are:
- Sakhi represents the South Asian diaspora in an intersectional, intergenerational, survivor-led movement for gender justice.
- Sakhi honors the inherent and collective power of all survivors of violence.
What We Do:
- Sakhi is committed to serving survivors through a combination of efforts including—but not limited to—direct services, advocacy and organizing, technical assistance and community outreach.
To make a long-term impact, we engage daily:
through direct services, advocacy, organizing, technical assistance, and community outreach.
- Sakhi creates a system that operates at individual, cultural, and systemic levels to dismantle the root causes of violence.
- Sakhi provides sanctuary and facilitates the healing and liberation that are fundamental for survivors and their children.
We recognize that breaking the silence is no longer enough.
For as long as abuse and inequality exist, we seek to continually increase our impact.
Vision for Change
In 2019, Sakhi embarked on the in-depth process of defining our goals as a team and charting our path to achieving growth as an organization and culture change within our community. Our strategic plan commits us to an intersectional, intergenerational, survivor-led movement for gender justice.
We seek to increase our impact by:
- Continuing to improve the quality and effectiveness of our programs
- Measuring the quantitative and qualitative impact of our work
- Promoting visibility of our work and survivor successes
- Exercising leadership in the gender-justice movement
- Fully aligning our organizational culture with the Theory of Change
- Securing multi-year funding to ensure longterm sustainability and impact of our movement
At Sakhi, we mobilize and organize survivor power in the movement to end gender-based violence.Our Impact
The outcomes of our journey include:
- Freedom from violence and fear
- Housing, food, and healthcare security
- Economic independence
- Agency for self-determination
- Access to education
- Emotional well-being
- Ownership of one’s present and future
- Access to happiness
- Leadership in the advocacy space