Anyone can be a survivor of violence — no matter one’s age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, or cultural background. Each year, hundreds of thousands of adults over the age of 60 are abused, neglected, or financially exploited.
Elder members of the South Asian community are disproportionately impacted by gender-based violence (GBV) due to isolation, limited mobility, and other issues. As such, older adults can also be particularly vulnerable to mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety.
Sakhi’s team of social workers provide South Asian survivors of gender based violence who are ages 55 and above with a range of specialized services, such as: individual and group counseling, court accompaniments, rental assistance, and case assistance – including accessing benefits and entitlements, and transportation.
If you know someone who may be experiencing abuse, please contact Sakhi’s helpline at 212-868-6741 from Monday-Friday, 10am – 10pm, email .
More Resources and Information About Elder Abuse
- Phone: 212.273.5200
- Research: “Immigrant South Asian Women at Greater Risk for Injury From Intimate Partner Violence”
- Eldercare Locator
- Phone: 800-677-1116
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Office for Older Americans
- Phone: 855-411-2372
- National Adult Protective Services Association
- Phone: 202-370-6292
- National Center on Elder Abuse
- Phone: 855-500-3537
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Phone: 800-799-7233 (24/7)
- 800-787-3224 (TTY)
- National Elder Fraud Hotline
- Phone: 833-FRAUD-11 for 833-372-8311
- U.S. Department of Justice
- Phone: 202-514-2000
- 800-877-8339 (TTY)